MGE assisted the City with Construction Management services for a segment of Wilshire Boulevard from Western Avenue to San Vicente Boulevard. The Wilshire BRT Project is intended to improve bus passenger travel times, service reliability, ridership of the existing Wilshire BRT system, and encourage a shift from automobile use to public transit. The Wilshire Boulevard Middle Lanes (Western Avenue to San Vicente Boulevard) project is intended to improve the surface of the two eastbound mixed flow lanes, two westbound mixed flow lanes, and the left-turn lane/left-turn pockets of the middle lanes for all vehicular modes of travel. The construction of the Western Avenue to San Vicente Boulevard segment of the Wilshire BRT includes:
• Removal of curb and gutter, removal of curb lanes, and construction of monolithic concrete curb and curb lanes;
• Modification and reconstruction of catch basins;
• Repair/modification/construction of oil/tar hole sumps;
• Relocation of bus stops and bus shelters;
• Conversion of the curb lanes to a bus and right-turn only operation during peak periods on weekdays;
• Restriping/signage of the curb lanes, 2 eastbound mixed flow lanes, two westbound mixed flow lanes, and the left-turn lane/left-turn pockets;
• Installation of bus and traffic loop detectors;
• Installation of ATSAC conduits;
• Protection of the existing street lighting facilities, conduits, circuits;
• Protection of the existing traffic signals and ATSAC systems in place;
• Protection of the existing utilities in place to the extent possible;
• Traffic and pedestrian control.
• Resurfacing of the two eastbound mixed flow lanes, two westbound mixed flow lanes, and the left-turn lane / left-turn pockets;
MGE’s assigned Resident Engineer was responsible for review of Contractor submittals, providing schedule and cost controls, preparation and implementation of contract change orders, responding to RFI’s, providing proactive solution oriented recommendations to and follow-ups with the engineer-of-record, review of temporary traffic control plans, participation in project status meetings, and providing engineering support. Psomas, as a subconsultant to MGE provided an experienced construction scheduler to review baseline and periodic schedules.